February 06, 2012

Child Worker (Busking) in Jakarta

While you read this, maybe your children are playing with their friends or getting some after-school tutoring to improve their grades. But for 10-year-old Bagus, his extracurricular activity involves jumping from bus to bus, singing the latest song he can remember while plucking along on his ukulele, hoping to receive some coins for his effort. My Jakarta ran into Bagus on a Kopaja bus while traveling from Slipi to Grogol, We asked him how he felt being a busker, what he did with the money he earned and his hopes for the future. While most children dream of being an astronaut or a celebrity, all Bagus dreams of is a steady job in an office.

When did you start working as a pengamen (busker)?

I don’t remember exactly when, but I think it might have been around when I was still 7.

Do you go to school?

Yes, I’m in the second grade, but I don’t want to tell you where I go to school [smiles].

What’s the matter, don’t your teachers and friends know that you are a busker?

Yes, my teachers know, but they never say anything about it at all. But I never let my friends know that I am a pengamen on buses.

Why is that, do you feel embarrassed?

Yes, nobody wants to do this for a living. Deep down in my heart I feel really embarrassed having to sing in buses and ask for money. But there’s no other choice. Having a side job that I wouldn’t be embarrassed about would be a luxury. All that matters is that the job pays.

What do your parents think about you singing on buses for money?

They both know that I’m a busker, but understanding our situation, they say that the decision is up to me whether I want to busk or not.

How long do you sing every day?

After school ends at about 4:30 p.m to 9 p.m.

So how do you make time to study?

I study and do my homework in the morning.

What do your parents do for a living?

My dad is a tukang parkir [parking attendant] and my mom takes in laundry from other people. I also have two younger brothers and sisters.

Do your parents ask for your money?

Never. They never ask how much I earn or how I use the money. As long as they know I’m not using it for something bad. I consider it my allowance.

How much can you make a day?

Around Rp 20,000 [$2]. Most people will give me Rp 2,000, but once I got Rp 50,000 from an old auntie. Sometimes I can only make Rp 10,000 a day. I ride from Slipi Kemanggisan to Grogol and from Grogol back to Slipi Kemanggisan again. This is my only route.

And how do you spend your money?

I save all of my money. I plan to use it when my school has its annual trip later. But sometimes I use my money to buy some Indomie [instant noodles]. I really love eating instant noodles [laughs].

Do you smoke?

No, I am afraid to smoke, I don’t think that my throat can hold it. I’m afraid that I will cough uncontrollably if I do.

Great to hear that, but does that mean you will smoke when you are strong enough?

Mmm, I don’t think so. I am pretty afraid to smoke [laughs].

But you’re not afraid of jumping from bus to bus?

Not at all. I am used to doing that.

What about preman [thugs], do any of them ever come and take your money?

Luckily no, I never have any of them asking for my money, but I get scolded a lot by the bus drivers. I don’t really know why they get so angry at me, but I am really afraid when they do.

And do you have somebody to protect and organize you?

No, I don’t belong to any groups or anything like that. I am doing this alone.

When you think about the future, what is your dream?

I want to work in an office.

I notice that you aren’t wearing any sandals. Where are your sandals?

I lost them a few weeks ago [smiles], but I don’t want to buy another pair. It’s too expensive and it’s better for me to save my money.

Bagus was talking to Edison Lestari on a Kopaja 88 from Slipi to Grogol.
source

No comments: