February 26, 2009

One of those crazy teaching stories

At work today, I got one of those dreaded cover classes, the bane of all teachers. Never mind, I generally dont mind them, and I do not really get them that often, however, a quick check showed that not only did I have a cover class on but I had also been the lucky recipient of an exam supervision....at the same time. Doh, whoever organised that had not checked their own work properly.

I visited the administrator in question's office and politely let him know of his error. He asked me to do the cover class and he would sort out the exam supervision. Next problem, turns out the teacher missing the class had forgotten to set some work for the students and write out the class instructions.

It was an IT class, so I wander up to the room, the year 7's were out the front lined up, the previous class was just finishing up, and the teacher of that class, a regular IT teacher, invited me in.

I invited the year 7's asked them to continue their work and got to some of my work also. Roughly 15 minutes later the same IT teacher came back into the room to talk to me a confused look on his face.

IT teacher: "you have my class"
Me : "Have we both been put on the same cover then?"
IT teacher: "No, this is my regular class"

WTF?

turns out the cover class, I had been given wrong room number, but why on earth would a regular teacher just give me his class without question ? the class i was supposed to cover was next door.

Made me laugh.

No comments: